The application for the master program is possible for the summer and winter term. Please note that you can only apply once the application period for the respective semester has started! You can find details here. The current application periods are:
- September 15 to November 30 for applicants for the summer term and
- February 15 to May 31 for applicants the winter term
The application for the master program must be submitted online, via the campo portal (see video below).
- Register an account in the FAU-IdM System.
- Sign in at the campo portal.
- Submit your online application (in campo).
- Wait for notification from FAU.
- your Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- your letter of motivation (VERY IMPORTANT, please tell us WHY you chose AI Master at FAU)
- your secondary school’s leaving certificate (and English translation) (High school certificate)
- university entrance exam (if available, e.g. Iran)
- your university certificates (and English translation). In case you do not have your Bachelor certificate at the time of applying to FAU we need a confirmation of your university that you will get the Bachelor´s certificate soon
- the international transcript (grades sheet) of the courses you have attended
- your university’s module descriptions of the required courses (see below)
- TOEFL score report OR other comparable proof of English language ability (certificates from language learning apps like DuoLingo are not sufficient!). If your Bachelor´s was taught exclusively in English, a confirmation of the university is sufficient.
- APS certificate (required for India, Vietnam and China)
- any certificates of English or German language courses you have taken part in
- GRE is not mandatory, but if you have a certificate it is very helpful
Incomplete applications will not be considered!
All applicants should meet the following criteria:
- Completion of an excellent Bachelors degree or a corresponding qualification in Computer Science, in a related scientific or technical field, or in Mathematics.
- Proficiency and experience in both using and programming computers. Besides familiarity with the basic concepts of computers and Computer Science, we expect that you have solid programming experience.
- A well-rounded education in Mathematics.
- In particular, for external Bachelor’s programmes to be considered equivalent to the qualifying standards, it should include at least:
- Courses on Programming and Algorithmics amounting to ≥ 20 ECTS
- Theoretical CS and Logic amounting to ≥ 15 ECTS
- Databases and Conceptual Modelling amounting to ≥ 5 ECTS
- Mathematics of CS (Analysis, Linear Algebra, Stochastics) amounting to ≥ 20 ECTS and
- Software Engineering amounting to ≥ 10 ECTS
- International Students
- A solid command of the English language – TOEFL score of at least 80/120 or equivalent qualification, e.g. confirmation of the university that the Bachelor´s programme had been taught in English.
- Students should be interested in a stay in Germany for at least two years.
- Note that the university does not supply housing. You are responsible for your own accommodation. More information here.
What happens with your application
- The full application documents will be evaluated by two professors. The results of the evaluation will be submitted to the admissions committee.
- The admissions committee decides on your admission to the master program.
- All applicants (external and internal to FAU) are required to take part in an online screening test via a secure evaluation platform, the dates of which will be announced at least one week prior. The test will take the form of an open-book exam, last for 60 minutes and includes questions on all the important areas shown above (algorithmics, theoretical CS, logic, databases, mathematics,…).
- You are not at any point required to sent any documents as hard copies.
- The Master Office will check your documents with regard to the formal requirements.
- If your application meets the formal requirements you will officially be admitted into the program.